"It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Dreams of reams of lined paper
and scotch-tape dispensers -
enough for all year!
It's the most wonderful time of the year.
It's the hap-happiest season of all!
Filled with back-to-school shopping
Three-ring binders a-popping,
warm sweaters for fall.
It's the hap-happiest season of all!
There'll be papers for writing,
tests, nails a-biting
kid's laughter a-filling the halls.
There'll be cold football nights
flags and trumpets and lights,
and bright colors that come with the fall.
It's the most wonderful time of the year.
We'll be bobbing for apples
baking gooey peach crumbles
and scuffling through leaves on the ground.
We'll be lost in corn mazes
and painting kid's faces.
Oh, pumpkins and scarecrows abound!
It's the most wonderful time,
it's the most magical time,
It's the most wonderful time of the year!
It may not follow the flow exactly, but you get the idea. I really love this time of year. Shopping for school supplies is one of my favorite past-times, and I can't wait to start up the tradition with my children. There is something about an empty notebook that calls my name - it's just waiting to be filled with words. Freshly sharpened pencils, back-packs full of books and paper, an unopened box of crayons, pink erasers, fun colored pens - it's little things like this in life that make me feel like running out into the grass and doing a cartwheel!
A couple of years ago, my mom and I started a tradition. At the start of each school year, we load up and head out to our local Target or Shopko (depending on who has the best prices at the time), look for a super-cute back-pack that will be the envy of all school kids and fill it with the most fun and amazing school supplies we can find. It's not uncommon to find children in need in our schools, especially in this economy, and this is a way I can scratch my back-to-school-shopping itch, and help a kid in need. We also usually pick out a really cool book to put into the backpack that will belong to that child.
I didn't realize until a few years back how many children do not have books in their homes. My father-in-law belongs to a local Rotary club, and every year they take books to elementary school classrooms throughout the Treasure Valley. Many of the children who receive these books have never owned a book of their own.
Anyway, after the back-pack is all filled, we take it down to a local elementary school and ask the principal or counselor to find a child who would benefit most from the gift. When I think back to when I was in school, I can still tell you the names of the kids that would have been delighted to received something special like this. There are always kids out there who need a little extra help. Many of you probably have kids in school, but if you don't and you love school supply shopping as much as I do, why not give it a try? You can probably buy a good back-pack and fill it with all the supplies for around $20-30. It's a small price to pay to put a smile on a child's face at the start of the school year.
Another little thing I really like about back-to-school time is the chill in the air and the breaking out of cozy sweaters and blue-jeans. I am a sucker for a super-cute turtle neck sweater. I love the way my skin feels all snuggly warm, wrapped in the soft fabric of a cozy sweater. Don't get me wrong - I love to spend time out in the sun as much as the next person, but I would take a crisp fall day over the heat of summer any time! There's something about looking forward to an evening in front of the fire place, all snuggled up in a fuzzy blanket, sipping herbal tea or hot cocoa and reading a great book that sends a chill up my spine!
Sorry, I may be laying the cheese-factor on a little thick, but I am so excited about the coming school-year and Autumn season. If you love this most-wonderful-time-of-the-year as much as I do, I'm sure you're breaking out your fuzzy blankets, planning on boxing up your summer clothes and putting away your flip-flops for the year. Hello sweaters, boots and scarves!
On a side note, I apologize to Misters Edward Pola and George Wyle for rewriting their wonderful song, but I couldn't myself. The thrill of the coming season is just too much for me to handle. I feel so blessed to live in an area of the world that gets to experience all four wonderful seasons, because it gives a person something to look forward to. I'll admit though, I wouldn't complain about Autumn year-round!
Here in a couple of weeks, I will be busting out my cute scarecrows and strapping them to the columns outside my front door. I'll be purchasing bright colored pumpkins, hanging up an Autumn wreath, and putting pumpkin spice Scentsy wax into my burner. My home will be warm and cozy and all things Autumn. I am so excited for the coming months!
![]() |
| I just love school supplies. |
![]() |
| Crayon tower! |
![]() |
| Yes please, I'll take one of these. |
![]() |
| And one of these (the sweater, not the chick). |
![]() |
| And also this one. |
![]() |
| Beautiful fall colors (photo not taken by me unfortunately) |
| Audrey looking for a pumpkin at the pumpkin patch last fall. |
| The kids and I last October at the pumpkin patch. |
| Our carved pumpkins last year! Can you guess which one belonged to each person? |






That was so very clever. I really have found so much joy in buying school supplies and clothes for the boys :-) at your request I will donate to a child in need
ReplyDeleteI LOVE fall too. I am looking forward to it more and more every day. I hate the stupid heat and am ready for cool and crisp autumn days. Thanks for this post, it totally made me happy!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad I'm not the only one that loves fall more than summer! :) I feel like people always think I'm nuts when I say that. Yay! 45 days until Autumn!!
ReplyDelete