Monday, March 25, 2013

March 2013

Some one asked me the other day if I still enjoy being a stay-at-home mom.  That's a really difficult question to answer, because it's a super-duper loaded question.  Staying home with a 2 and 4 year old is by far the hardest thing I have ever done.   I've described my days to you before, and I know I sound like I complain a lot about staying at home or about my kids, but truly, my days are filled with noise and chaos, but a lot of love, too. 

I suppose I would answer that question by saying that the benefits of choosing to stay home with my children far out-weight the other options, which is why I choose to do it. I get to raise my own children the way I see fit.  I get to spend hours and hours with my children, where-as so many parents only get to spend a few hours here and a few hours there because of crazy work schedules and sports and gym time and the crazy minutiae of life that adds up over time.  I do prefer staying home - there's never a dull moment in my day, and I savor the afternoons when the kids are in their rooms (Kellen either sleeping or tossing his book and toys from hell to high-water and Audrey usually watching cartoons on Daddy's I-pad).  During that quiet time I'll read, pay bills, or just lay and rest, savoring the quiet for a while.  It's one of those things where the grass is always greener: when I'm working, I'm wishing I was home with my kids, chasing them around and getting hugs and kisses and watching them grow up.  On the flip side, when I do stay home, I miss the adult inter-action of working and being thanked and appreciated for what I do (even though my kids do that, they can't express it in quite the same way).  At least when I'm older and my children are grown, I'll never be able to say I wish I had worked more and spent less time with my children.   I only have them so long - fits, messes, and chaos included. :) 

Moving on to different matters, since my last posting there have been three main events.  The first I'll mention is parent watch week at Audrey's dance class.  Every month the parents get to watch a practice to see how the kids are progressing.  Audrey is always so excited for me to go watch her dance.  She's so delicate and dainty, and still one of the smaller kids in her class.  Her attention span doesn't last very long, but she gives it her all and loves to be a ballerina!  The dance academy we send her to does a phenomenal job with small kids, and they are blossoming! 






She was watching herself in the mirror.









On to Dr. Seuss - what?  Yes, you heard me right, Dr. Seuss.  My mother-in-law is a retired elementary school educator/counselor, and every year we still celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday!  Everyone gathers for dinner at her house, we all wear pajamas (well, usually the kids and women end up in pajamas), and we read Dr. Seuss books.  I usually have the opportunity to make the Dr.Seuss Birthday cake, and this year was no different.  Every year I try to choose a book theme for the cake, and this year was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish!  It was a hit! 


















Finally, Audrey had her first big-girl hair cut at a salon!  I've been keeping it trimmed the past several years, but I have no hair-cutting knowledge or expertise, and it always turns out a little sideways and choppy.  I decided it was time for a real, healthy cut, so I booked an appointment with a wonderful lady who only charges one dollar per birthday for kids (so Audrey was $4).  Audrey was a little timid about the whole situation at first, but in the end she had a great time, and even got a little candy bar out of the deal! 











That's all for now! 

1 comment:

  1. Love Audrey's haircut! Kellen's superman jammies crack me up. I can totally relate to the craziness of staying at home with kids. Some days I absolutely NEED adult conversation, but rarely get it. I have the rest of my life to work when the boys are older, so for now I'll cherish the chaos. :)

    ReplyDelete