Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Three Decades

I am very thankful for the three decades that have been my life.  Many things have happened - many triumphs, many changes, many hurts, many mountains climbed, many lessons learned.

The past several weeks have been really wonderful.  I was really dreading my birthday, but, as it turns out, my dread was unnecessary.  It's not like turning any particular age means that I'm suddenly going to wake up with white hair or wrinkles.  It does not mean that I suddenly have to start shopping in a different clothing section at the store. What it does mean is that I have life many wonderful years, and hope to live many more.  I am so excited to see what the next 30 years have in store for me.

Let's see, where do I begin.  I received a package the week before my birthday from my Grandpa Don's wife, Evalena, which was a wonderful surprise.  The package contained a picture of my Dad and his siblings, along with Grandpa Don and his late wife (my grandmother) Betty.  I also pulled out a very funny looking shirt, and I couldn't quite tell what was going on with it until I read the card.  The card explained that the shirt was actually an apron, made from a shirt that Grandpa Don has been wearing for many years and needed to be retired.  Upon trying on the shirt apron, a couple of things happened:  I'm pretty sure I remember Grandpa Don wearing that shirt.  I lifted the shirt to my nose, and it smelled distinctly the way I remember Grandpa Don smelling, which brought tears to my eyes.

A lot of time has been lost over the last several years not communicating with him.  This summer when I got to spend a few precious hours with him, it reminded me how special he truly is to me, and all of the fond memories I have of him as a young girl.  I decided to change my ways and keep in better touch with him.  I regularly sit down now and write a hand-written letter to he and Evalena, something personal they can hold and read and learn about my family and know of my love for them. I hope they realize how much it meant to me to see them this summer, share my little family with them, and reinstate regular contact.

After that package I received a package from my Dad.  It contained the most beautiful ivory-colored knitted shawl I have ever seen.  It is warm and cozy, and absolutely perfect!  He had asked if I would like more sweaters from him for my birthday (last year he sent me several beautiful sweaters, as he knows well that fall is my favorite time of year because I get to swear cozy sweaters), but this shawl is beautiful!

The Saturday night before my birthday, my sweet husband took me on a date. First we went to eat at Joe's Crab Shack.  I have been wanting to eat here for years and years, but we never made it there until last week.  I had to, of course, get the bucket of crab legs since we were at a crab shack, and let me tell you, they were absolutely delicious.  I had crab juice running all over my hands and forearms, and crab leg shells were flying everywhere as I cracked into each one. I'm pretty sure a piece even ended up in my drink, but I didn't care. I was in crab heaven.  Yum.

After dinner we couldn't decide between a movie or our local University's football game.  We have long talked about going to a BSU game, but again, we've ever quite made it, so we decided what the heck! We'll have a night of firsts!  We parked about a mile and a half away in a lot where Matt has a free parking pass (thanks to his Master Chorale practices), and hoofed the distance to the stadium (much to the indignation of my feet, as I was in heeled boots).  But we made it.  The game was so much fun!  We were in the nosebleed seats next to a group of several drunken college boys yelling and swearing, but it was actually quite amusing.  We were cold and got rained on, but we didn't care.  Matt bought us a couple of expensive (5.00!!!) BSU rain ponchos and enjoyed the rainy, cold, blow-out game.  It was definitely an evening to remember!

Finally, on the day of my birthday, we had many friends and family members over for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake!  The get-together was lovely and enjoyable, and the company was wonderful!   My mom went all-out and put decorations up around the house (which I teased her about since I"m not a kid anymore, to which she stated "30 is the last birthday you can put up decorations for, so enjoy it!"....we'll see about that since her 60th is coming up next year I believe....hehehe....).  I felt quite childish being the center of attention while I sat in front of everyone and opened gifts, but everyone was so generous and loving that I couldn't help but be excited!  I got some pretty amazing things (and thank-you notes are on their way, I promise!).

I just want to give everyone a big thank you who made my dreaded birthday so happy and fun and enjoyable.  It was one of the best birthdays I have ever had.  I feel so loved and cherished, and I'm grateful for every one of you.

I will work on posting some pictures of the things I have mentioned (the BSU game, the shawl, the shirt apron, etc), but I don't have any on my computer yet.  Once I do I'll post some pictures.


Thanks again for all of the love.  More than anything else in the world, I am truly and undoubtedly blessed beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment