Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Stupid Cat (please read the whole post before you judge me here)

We got our stupid cat October of 2012, shortly after I had quit working at the bank.  We had actually been to the animal shelter looking for a dog several times, but never found the right fit for our family.  We were walking past a little cage filled with kittens and I said, "Hey honey, what about a cat?  They're pretty easy."  So, we peered in at the fuzzy little faces and chose a couple tabby ones that we liked.

We took the first one in a little room for a "test drive" to see how it would do with the kids.  Well, he cowered under a chair and away from us the few minutes we were in the room with him, so we sent him back and got the other little tabby.  He was the cutest kitten!  He acted like a big-shot super hero at six weeks old, walking around the little room like he owned the place, investigating the kids and playing around like he was already part of the family.  We knew he'd fit right in, so we adopted him on the spot.

I've always considered myself a dog person.  I've never cared much for cats - I've always thought of them as snobby, self-centered creatures.  I would much prefer the sloppy drooly company of a giant dopey dog!  However, the kitten was cute and over time, he kind of grew on me.

The first night we had him home, he immediately perched himself on my shoulder and took a nap.  That became his special place in the evenings, and I really didn't mind.  I thought it was kind of cute.  It only became a problem after he grew up and there was too much of him for my shoulder, so he had to resign himself to my lap instead (or my chest if I happened to be laying down reading a book).

He grew on me over the years, though I still often referred to him as "Stupid Cat" (even though his name was Scout).  As far as personality goes, he had one of the best ones I've ever seen in a cat.



Every morning he would sense me stirring, and would coming in mowing his good morning to me, then follow me to each of the kid's rooms as I woke them up.  He would walk into their rooms meowing his good morning to them, then rub against their little legs as they rolled out of bed.

He loved to cuddle with one of the kids as they lay on the couch drinking a warm cup of milk.  If he wasn't sitting right on top of someone, he would reach a paw as far as he could to make sure he was in contact with whoever he was sitting nearest.

Matt and I would always laugh about the fact that he acted part dog.  He loved to play fetch with his favorite toy, a pipe cleaner.  He kept his stash of pipe cleaners hidden under the oven.

When someone would come over, rather than skulk away to hide like most cats do, he would be the first greeter at the door, then usually sit in close vicinity to whomever  was visiting, often cuddling up right next to their hip on the couch.

During family gatherings, he loved to lay in the middle of the floor right in the middle of everyone so he could be a part of whatever was going on.


Over the nearly three years that we had him, we tried our best to keep him inside.  It worked for a long time, but in time, he started bolting out of open doors.  He usually kept to our yard (even right up until recently as far as we know).  We don't believe in letting our animals roam, and believe it's irresponsible and disrespectful for an animal to poop in someone else's yard (heaven knows we have plenty of cat poop in our back yard that did not come from OUR cat).

I tried to not like him, keep my affections from growing for him.  But the stupid creature was just so...likable!

Every time he got out, Matt and I would always say that one of these times, he wasn't going to come home.  Well Monday, that time came.  He escaped out the sliding glass door as he often did, but this time, rather than coming home after an hour or two, he just didn't come home.

Stupid cat.  Didn't know what was best for him.  Stupid cat for worming his way into my heart.  Stupid cat for breaking the "cat stereotype" for me so that I actually LIKED him.  Stupid cat for winning me over. Stupid cat for adoring the kids and showing particular affection for the baby.

Stupid cat for making me drive miles and miles of back roads over the last two days hoping to catch a glimpse of him where someone may have hauled him away and dumped him.  Stupid cat for making me call the local animal shelters every day, hoping someone has brought him him.

Stupid cat for making me lose sleep wondering what could have happened to him.  Stupid cat for making me leave the back door open when I leave the house, just in case he does come home and is hungry or dehydrated he can go right to his designated eating place.

Stupid cat for leaving a cold spot in my lap when I sit in the living room in the evenings.

Stupid cat for actually making me ugly-cry for you.

Stupid cat for leaving a void.

Stupid cat for making me like you.




Stupid me. I guess I really am a cat person after all. I keep hoping I'll walk through the kitchen and see you sitting at the back door waiting to be let in.  I hope you find your way home.


1 comment:

  1. I am a cat person and my heart hurts for you! Let me know when he comes home and I'll bring you some catnip. I have a huge plant at the side of my house!

    ReplyDelete