Over the past 4 months or so, A and K have been in the midst of a challenge they put themselves to, where they chose to not eat any added-sugar foods for 6 months, with a reward at the end. I've had lots of people ask me about how we go about it, and how they are so successful, so I'd like to share with you a bit about where this came from and how it is going.
This past January, Audrey came home from school one day talking about one of the kids in her class, Grant, and how he is going without added-sugar foods for a whole year, with a reward of a trip to Hawaii (which I'm fairly sure was an already-planned family trip, though I don't know for sure). Anyway, Audrey started talking a little bit about how cool it would be to try the challenge.
Let me digress for a moment and emphasize just how much sugar my kids were eating before this challenge! I wasn't letting my kids eat enormous amounts of junky, sugary food, but they were definitely eating too much of it. I would always make them choose something healthy, but often "reward" them for their healthy choice with a not so healthy choice, telling myself that it least it was calories, much needed calories that my super skinny, never-seem-to-gain-any-weight kids needed to consume. When Audrey started throwing this no-sugar added idea around, I was all for it.
Towards the end of January, Audrey decided she wanted to try. She set herself a goal of half a year instead of a whole year like her classmate was doing. She asked me what kind of reward she might get in the end. Without putting too much thought into it, and fully believing that there was no way she would ever stick to the challenge, I said, "If you are successful, at the end of six months of no-sugar (added), I will give you $100!"
Kellen heard this and hopped right on board. Actually, he said, "Can I get a bunch of monster trucks instead?" I agreed, thinking that buying a bunch of monster trucks would be way less than $100 (but I didn't tell him that. He has since then changed his mind about the monster trucks and wants the Benjamin).
We went about setting up some rules about how this was going to go, and they started their challenge February 1st. We decided on no-sugar-added instead of no sugar at all because I felt like it was important for them to still eat healthy foods like fruit so they get all the nutrients they need. Plus, fruit will still give them a sweet treat without consuming refined white sugar.
We also decided that once a week, they could have chocolate chips muffins on Sunday mornings before church. This has been a Sunday morning tradition for a long time, and I'm the one who did not want to sacrifice it! We decided Sunday muffins in the morning were okay, without voiding their challenge.
The only other time we eased up was on our trip to Texas this past Spring to see their Grandpa Chuck. I wanted him to be able to feel like he could spoil them a little bit, and what grandparent doesn't spoil with a little sugar sometimes? They certainly didn't go wild, but they certainly got a couple of treats while we were there, including a slushy drink from Sonic and birthday pancakes at Denny's.
Matt and I had to solve a few dilemmas, since this was a learning experience for us, too. Shortly after they started their challenge, it was time for Valentine's Day. What do kids bring home from school on Valentine's Day? Tons and tons of candy. We chose to not get candy treats for them, and decided on stuffed animals and a book. I also put hearts all over their doors listing all the reasons I loved them, and they really liked that. They still participated in sharing Valentines at school, and brought home lots of candy, but didn't eat any of it - just looked longingly at it.
Easter was another challenge. We (er, the Easter Bunny) usually fill their Easter baskets with chocolate bunnies, candy-filled eggs, jelly beans, etc. This year we had to rethink our plans. We still wanted plastic eggs so they could do a little Easter egg hunt, so we filled them with coins. Mostly pennies, but a few dimes and quarters here and there. It made it exciting for the kids, and they got to put the money in their piggy banks.
There have been several times during this challenge that they wanted to give up. I remind them often that I am not making them do this - it is THEIR choice. If they see something they want to eat that has sugar in it, and they ask, "Mom, can I have that?", I tell them they can have it if they want to end their sugar challenge and not earn their $100, but it's up to them. Over time it has gotten easier and easier, and I hear much less complaining about it now.
I have been overwhelmingly impressed by their self-control when it comes to sugar. At birthday parties, they say no to cake. If it's a family event, I will bring along some no-sugar-added ice cream for them to enjoy. School has been very accommodating as well. More and more kids seemed to jump on the no-sugar bandwagon as the year went on. Many of the teachers use skittles and starbursts to reward kids for their work, and they were great about providing something different - usually goldfish crackers - for the sugar challenge kids.
I have found a few treats they get to have that have no added sugar: sugar-free pudding, sugar-free ice cream, and lots and lots of watermelon! They regularly eat no-sugar added apple sauce in the squeeze packets, and I also buy no-sugar added apple juice for them (that I water down a lot for them to drink to cut the natural sweetness).
Overall, it's been a very positive and rewarding experience. They are healthier, and there was an unexpected side-effect: their appetites EXPLODED. They eat SO much food now, I can hardly keep up. Therefor, it's no surprise that they have both put on a little bit of much-needed weight. I go to the store at least 2-3 times every week to stock up on their staples (bread, cheese, fresh fruit, eggs), because they go through it so fast.
I was recently asked if I noticed any differences in their behavior. For Kellen, the answer is no. He's a pretty good kid, and doesn't usually misbehave out of spite. Sometimes, but not often. He usually gets into trouble when he's bored or something happens unexpectedly and he doesn't handle it well.
It's a bit more complicated when it comes to Audrey, and I'll explain why: around the time she started her sugar challenge, she was also diagnosed with ADD, inattentive type. We knew it was coming, and just had to get the official diagnosis from a doctor to get her the accommodations she needs to be successful at school. We chose not to medicate her at such a young age, but we did start the Focus Factor supplement at this point as well. Within a month or so of the diagnosis, starting the supplement, starting accommodations and cutting out added sugar, her work started to improve greatly. I cannot give credit to any one change in her life during this time, because they all happened at the same time. I would argue that her accommodations had the greatest effect, but the other two I'm quite certain have helped as well.
So, here we are in June, and they have about 7 weeks left of the challenge. They are doing a wonderful job!! They are greatly looking forward to having a few treats here and there again (they think they can regress to their old sugar habits, and that is soooo not happening), and we are going to get them Krispy Kreme donuts to celebrate on August 1st!
It has been a really positive experience for them, and they are such great examples for me! Now, I pass the challenge along to YOU and your family. I would start by planting the seed - just tell your kids about it, with the idea of some kind of reward at the end, and leave it there. Let them mull it over in their heads, and see if they decide they want to try. Have them set a goal, and agree on a reward, and fire away! Make sure they know it's up to them, not a rule, and I'll bet they will be successful. You won't regret it!
No comments:
Post a Comment