Thursday, September 5, 2013

First Day of School

This week, the kids had their first day of school!  Audrey is in Pre-Kindergarten, and goes to school 3 days a week.  Kellen is in Toddler Playschool one day a week for an hour and a half.  I wasn't the least bit worried about my kids being shy or clinging to me that first day, because they love to learn, love to make new friends, and will talk to anyone and everyone - let me give you an example.  A week or two ago I took my car to a local lube-shop to get the oil changed.  While we were waiting in the waiting room, an elderly gentleman walked in, sat down, and was immediately assaulted with a million questions by my four-year-old (Kellen was busy watching the guys working on the car).  She asked his name, how old he was, if he was getting his oil changed, told him her name, her brother's name, her parent's names, her kitty's name, and then invited him to our house to play (much to his delight!).  Thankfully he turned down her invitation, but he seemed to enjoy the conversation.  Luckily we were only in there with him about 15 minutes - not enough time for a talkative four-year-old to divulge TOO much personal information like addresses, social security numbers, etc (though she did tell him that I was going to be 30).

Anyway, the morning of the first day of school, we got up early, I made a special breakfast of french toast for the kids, got them dressed, and then it was time to take first-day-of-school pictures.  What a riot.  Both kids woke up grumpy and not wanting to cooperate, but I managed to get a few good shots.  (Most of the pictures you see of Audrey were taken AFTER we dropped Kellen off at school and came back home.)

They both had a wonderful first day!  When we walked into Kellen's classroom, he walked right in, didn't even bother taking his back-pack off, and headed straight for the firetrucks.  He was in heaven!  He took off and didn't give me a second glance, which makes me both happy and sad.  I'm grateful that he is confident enough to know that he's not there forever, and that I will be back to get him, and that he's safe.

Audrey the same way when I dropped her off a couple hours later.  Her classroom is set up exactly like a kindergarten classroom - very colorful and full of exciting pictures and diagrams and everything you can imagine!  She found her cubby with her name in it, hung up her back-pack, found her name-tag, and then found her mat in the circle on the floor.  She walked right in and didn't look back, which again made my heart feel happy and sad.  I had to walk over to her and kiss her and tell her I love her and to be kind (she's a very kind girl - they both are - but I remind them every day to be kind to everyone).

It took a great deal of self control to not burst into tears when I left each of them in their respective classrooms.  Of course I want my children to grow up and strike out in the world and be successful students, but I'm not quite ready to let go of them yet.  Like every parent, I'm worried about all the bad stuff and the real monsters of the world.  They have no idea what war is; they've never heard of terrorists.  They don't know that there are men and women who prey on children.  They don't know that mommies and daddies sometimes die and leave them behind (my biggest fear of all).  They have never been bullied, nor have they been called a terrible name. They have never seen another person suffer or have their heart broken.  I would rather they not EVER have to know things like that.  I want them to stay innocent and see the world as a beautiful, spotless place where they can grow happily and not ever be in danger.

On the other hand, I don't want them to be naive and never think that bad things happen.  I've already had the conversations about where it's appropriate to be touched, where it's not okay for others to touch them, that they shouldn't talk to strangers (we're still working on that one), and that if they ever find a gun to NOT touch it and tell a grown-up.  They will learn more and more as the years go on, and I'll have to tell them about the bad things in the world.  There are so many bad things in the world, sometimes it seems like it's taking over.  The thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot more good in the world than there is bad - the bad just gets all the press.  There are good people and good places and good things.  My prayer is that Matt and I can raise them to be kind, good, responsible, charitable, humble, sensible people who love to learn and make the world a better place.  They are amazing kids, with amazing futures, and they are my whole world.


Not excited about taking pictures.

I have no idea what's going on....

A leaf bug on our garage door. It was very distracting. 

The kids poking the leaf bug...they didn't like it.  Notice their faces. :)

Kellen and the scarecrow.

Audrey and the scarecrow. 

My beautiful kids on their first day of school 2013.

Playing with the firetrucks in Kellen's classroom!

Heading right in with no looking back.  

Self-explanatory. 

So excited! 


Riding her bike before going to pick up Kellen (the leaf bug is still on the garage door behind her!)


So excited to be in her classroom...finally! 

Kellen at home with is favorite toy. This firetruck was Matt's as a kid. 

Riding his firetruck. :) 

My big boy!
Cute picture of Audrey I took when I put my wedding veil on her. I had it out for a church lesson.





Oh, they also both started their soccer season.  Kellen's is a mommy-and-me class, so I wasn't able to take any pictures at soccer, but I got some at Audrey's soccer practice.  They are both excited to play!


On our way to her first soccer practice!

Headed to sissy's soccer practice. 

Looking sporty!





Look at her go!

Thumbs up for Soccer! 

Kellen's first day of Soccer!

No comments:

Post a Comment