As I'm sure you all know from my post a year ago (and in case you've forgotten, you can read it
here), I love back-to-school time of year. Last night as I was lying awake in my insomnious state, I was thinking about
why I love this time of year so much. What is it about school supplies, crowded mornings on the road, crisp fall air, and the changing leaves that I love so much? I think I figured it out about 1 o'clock this morning: potential. The potential of the coming school year (most school-aged kids and teachers base their year on the August-July schedule, instead of January - December schedule I believe). The potential to learn. The potential to grow. The potential to change. The potential to know more, learn more, read more, be more than you were yesterday.
I love the potential of a brand-new, never opened spiral notebook. Think of all the wonderful things that could fill up it's pages! Hopes, dreams, doodles, the outline of a new book, poetry, sketches, free writing, haiku or simply empty time and empty space after staring for two hours at a blank page and not being able to come up with anything to write about.
How about a brand-new, never-used pen or newly-sharpened pencil! What potential they have! A pencil can be sharpened countless times after writing some great work of fiction, scribbled furiously in the wee hours of the morning because of sleeplessness. The smell of fresh ink of paper is one of my favorite scents - it reminds me of late nights writing papers for my senior English class, and writing Matt letter after letter while he lived in Argentina.
Autumn is a great time to reflect on who you are, and what you hope to become. Read a new book. Start a new exercise regimen. Begin a journal. Offer an apology that's been long overdue. Write that book you've always wanted to write. Start a new project now that the weather is beginning to turn. Open a savings account and start saving money for that trip you've always wanted to take. Organize your house. Start Christmas shopping. Find Jesus (or whatever deity you believe in).
There's nothing like the crisp fall air and leaves crunching under your feet to help you find yourself. I know Autumn has not arrived yet, but school has started, so we all know it's on its way. Choose one beautiful, crisp morning to step outside, take a deep, refreshing breath, and know that you've been gifted one more day. Make it count. Enjoy life, and be thankful for what you have.
Here are a few things I am thankful for:
 |
| All ready for church! |
 |
| Kellen too! |
 |
| Selfie! |
 |
| Made this baby blanket for a friend. :) |
 |
| They made their own peanut butter sandwiches! |
 |
| Showing off his sandwich! |
 |
| Took the kids to the MK Nature center. |
 |
| Karlin's kiddos! |
 |
| Grandma Betty went with us, too. |
 |
| Shaydynn trying to hand-feed a squirrel. |
 |
| Home-made moon sand (flour and oil) |
No comments:
Post a Comment