So I posted a short blog letting you all know that baby Kellen made his big arrival, but I thought I would share the story of October 28, 2010.
A couple of days before he was born, doctor and I decided that it was time the baby greet the world, as we were getting worried about his size. October 29 I would have been considered 41 weeks. I wasn't wild about the idea of being induced again. My induction with Audrey started on a Tuesday night about 6 pm, and she wasn't born until Wednesday night at 10:55 pm. I was a little worried that it would be a long, arduous labor (as if labor isn't arduous enough). Luckily I was surprised, and the labor went quickly and smoothly.
I was given two options: Thursday, October 28, or Monday, November 1. I really couldn't stand the thought of being pregnant several more days, so we went with October 28. Plus, that would require Matt to only take two days off work, plus have the weekend to spend at home and get settled in.
We checked into the hospital about 6:30 Thursday morning. They got us settled into our room, hooked me up to IVs and started my pitocin. About 8:30 the doctor came in and broke my water and hooked up all the monitors to monitor my labor. I was determined to go as long as possible without an epidural. I don't know what I was thinking. My labor progressed very, very quickly, and labor pains got very very painful very very quickly! By 9:45 I was begging for an epidural. Within about 15 minutes the anesthesiologist was in my room asking me all the questions and getting set up, and I just wanted to scream at him to ask me the questions AFTER he was done! I was in agony!!! But, I got through it (practically squeezing off the poor nurse's hand with every contraction - Matt had stepped out while they did the epidural). It took him about 25 minutes to get the epidural, as he had to do it twice to get it in the right spot. It felt like it took 12 hours! But, within a few minutes of starting the medicine, I started feeling less pain and could relax a little bit. I wanted to kiss him when he was finished! What a relief!
I was surprised at how much labor at that point had taken out of me. I got super tired after the pain went (mostly) away and I wanted to sleep, but the nurse came in a short while later to see how far I was progressed. The doctor expected me to be about a 4-5 by noon, but by about 11:30, I was already at a 6, and about 45 minutes later I was at a 9! Woohoo!! The doctor came in about 12:30 and said, "Okay, let's get this baby out", and about 4 nurses walked in to help.
We got all settled and ready to go, and after 2 pushes he was half-way here. Kellen decided that he needed to shake the doctor's hand upon entry into the world, and he had his little hand up by his head as he came out, which got him a little stuck. After a little pulling and adjusting, the doctor got him readjusted, and after about 8 minutes and 4 big pushes, Kellen was here! I had my 9 lbs 10 oz, 22.5 inches long baby boy.
Kellen had little trouble breathing to begin with. He just kind of sat there and grunted for a little while, but after checking him out in the nursery, they brought him back to me to be skin-to-skin for a while, and he straightened right out. After about an hour and a half of recovering in the delivery room, we got to go down to the family suite that is made much like a hotel room with a queen bed. It was really nice to be able to stay together as a family (minus my sweet Audrey who spent the night at Grandma's), instead of being stuck in separate beds in a regular hospital room. The night went pretty well, and the nurses took Kellen down to the nursery for several hours so Matt and I could get a little bit of sleep. By Friday afternoon, we were being discharged to go home.
Even though Audrey's labor was longer and harder, both labors were a joyous experience, and something I obviously will never forget. Each one was very special and personal. Matt and I have been extremely blessed with two beautiful, healthy children, and we both feel a sense of completion as a family. 


Congratulations! He is adorable!! He's making me baby hungry!
ReplyDelete